The other day I went to a baby shower for a close friend, while filtering through her registry I just couldn’t bring myself to buy a stuffed animal or more cute clothes, regardless of how much I may have wanted to and especially since they’re having a little girl!
Instead I started brainstorming everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, I could think of that she would need but not know it, by the time I was finished I knew I’d spent way too much but I was positive that each and every item would be used.
Here is the list of what I’ve deemed the most important items you’d ever need in a “baby starter pack,” I’m no expert but with a 1 year old daughter, this last year has been a crash course in baby 101 to say the least!!
1. Aquaphor; I mentioned to a friend of mine that if I were on My Big Fat Greek Wedding, this would be like my Windex!!! You can use it on everything but primarily diaper rash and wounds. I even used some on my hands when they were excessively dry after washing them constantly during the newborn stage and beyond.
2. Infant Tylenol; for after shots, colds, teething…everything.
3. Baby Gas Drops; you won’t know how much you need these until your baby is crying with no relief in sight, gripe water seems to work well too if you’re looking for a more natural solution.
4. Baby Aspirator/Saline Solution; the big bulb ones work best, we got a free one from the hospital that worked better than anything I ever bought.
5. Baby Soap/Shampoo; my favorite is Johnson’s Head to Toe – that was what they used in the hospital and immediately connected with how my baby should smell, I’ve heard awesome things about the nighttime one as well but haven’t had much experience with that yet myself.
6. Baby lotion; Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Moisture is awesome, I use it after every bath on the tot, wish I took that great of care of my own skin!
7…. If you’re breastfeeding or know someone who is, I’d recommend Earth Mama Angel Baby Nipple Cream. Use it BEFORE you really need it…just trust me on this one!
8. Grooming Kit; Mostly just the combs and nail clippers will come in really handy but the kits are nice since it all comes together.
9. Exergen Thermometer; pricey but way easier!
10. Baby Toothbrush and Toothpaste; our daughter mostly just chews on it but she’ll let me help too. The ones in the kits aren’t that great so you’re better off buying it separately.
11. Bath Items; Shampoo Rinse Cup for in the tub came in really, really handy. Some have silicone so they contour to the baby’s head for easier use. Munchkin also makes a rubber ducky equipped with a “HOT” sensor on the bottom so the new parents know if the bath is too hot, this came in especially handy when we had just brought our daughter home and were still nervous, once you get the hang of things it’s still a cute toy for the bath.
I’m sure there are a million other things you could put in there but that’s definitely a good start for any new parents, just toss it in a cute basket or bag and you’re all set!
And while they may not give you the standing ovation you’ll be hoping for ….you will, without a doubt, get a huge thank you down the road 😊