Our daughter has the attention span of a flea, I think that’s mostly just due to her age but she’s definitely not gaining any favors by being born into my gene pool…
I’ve seen lots and lots of the ever popular busy boards but was trying to figure out how to make it look nice and still be a blast for the kiddo, I think we “nailed” – pun intended 😉
Almost everything I found at Walmart but a few things came from Home Depot…that I should have bought from Walmart! Definitely could have saved some money there but it turned out great so I keep trying to forget about the investment, funny how that always happens with DIY projects!
Here’s what I used:
1. Tap Light
2. Different sized castors that turn and spin
3. A variety of locks; sliding, chain and gate locks were what I used
4. Buttons on a string that can slide and turn
5. Zipper to practice on – I wasn’t quite sure how to attach that on but we ended up just screwing it directly to the board, easy peezy!
6. Pulls and Knobs, I hung some keys on a ring off a knob so they’d stay put and also some different clips on the pulls to play with
7. A hinge to open and close
8. A springy door stopper that makes an awesome boingy noise – whole minutes of entertainment haha!
9. Some number and letter stickers to put numbers 1 thru 10 and spell my daughter’s name
10. A few odds and ends….an old ducky keychain that lights up and quacks, a padlock, and these awesome mirrored stickers that I used as filler on the board after I put everything else on, may have gotten a bit squirrley with the mirrors….
Anywho, I wish I could tell you that she plays for at least an hour and loves, loves, loves it but from what I can tell she likes it a lot? HA!
In all seriousness it definitely keeps her attention and helps with those fine motor skills and she absolutely loves banging everything around and causing a ruckus – her favorite pastime!!!
Other things I thought could be fun; door knockers, door knobs that turn, raised address numbers, different fabrics to touch and feel. Really all you need to do is look around your house, you’ll probably find a bunch of random things lying around.